Service to others is an integral part of who we are at Pacifica. When Jesus prays in John 17, he tells us that we are sent out into the world just as He was sent into it. This means that just as He came to serve—not to be served—and give His life as a ransom for many (Mark 10), so we who follow Him are sent to love others in the same way (John 13:34). Accordingly, we require each student to do twenty-five (25) hours of community service every school year. These hours are a series of pre-approved projects where you give sacrificially to others from your time and talents. In order to earn a grade of “A,” you must give at least 25 hours of your time through your combined service projects (see below for a few examples).
While you might initially be uncomfortable with this school requirement, remember that Jesus said, “it is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35). As Pacifica students, you will learn this truth experientially through your service. Our desire is to help you establish a foundation of solid character regardless of your career path. Therefore, I encourage you to use this challenge to accomplish something truly significant.
There are some conditions that apply for all projects, all year long:
- They must be pre-approved by your small group teacher
- Email Rev. Stratton for approval until small groups are assigned in August.
- You must have someone verify in writing what you did, when, and for how many hours.
- One project must be substantive and long-term (10 hours or more, max of 15). Failure to complete a long-term project will result in one letter grade deduction.
- You may earn as many hours as you like during the summer, but at least 10 hours must be completed during the school year.
E-mail your proposed projects directly to your assigned small group leader, and he/she will either approve or reject the idea. Once approved, you may begin your projects. When you complete a project, have someone in authority—preferably not a relative, so as to avoid any conflict-of-interest—sign a letter/email stating what you did, when, and for how many hours. Your approvals and your signed verification of completed hours must be submitted to your respective small group leader by next June (2017) as part of your final report. Keep copies of all your records for reference. All projects must be completed by Friday, June 2, 2017.
Please note that while there are things you do as part of a family—mowing the grass, cleaning the garage, helping your elders, etc.—which are important, they do not count toward Community Service; nor do things you are required to do as part of any job for which you are paid, or any disciplinary measures being given to you. Likewise, if you get excused from another obligation, you cannot count such time toward your total hours.
Examples of Approved Projects from 2015/2016:
- Working at a Homeless Shelter
- Visiting Retirement Homes
- Beach Clean-Ups
- Walks to Cure Diseases
- Service at School Events (TGC, Open Houses, Fundraisers)
- Church Missions Trips
- Volunteering at Animal Shelters
- 30 Hour Famine
- Operation Christmas Child
- and many more
Community Service Forms
In lieu of these Sample Forms, your supervisor may write a signed letter on business stationery or send an email verifying what you did and when.
President’s Volunteer Service Award
Pacifica Christian High School is pleased to announce our approval as an official Certifying Organization for The President’s Volunteer Service Award. This program allows us to bestow Presidential recognition for exemplary community service hours to our student volunteers.
The parameters of the President’s Volunteer Service Award program can be found here: www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/the-award
Students who are interested in recognition from this program must pre-register as a volunteer through the Presidential Service awards website as follows:
- Volunteers can create a profile at www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/volunteer. Volunteers begin the registration process by clicking the blue “Register” button on this page.
- Once you have set up a profile, from your profile page add the Pacifica Christian Orange County ROS Key— DYU-2619 —in order to link your volunteer account with our school. Once your account is linked, you can track your hours by adding service as you complete it with Pacifica.