The purpose of senior projects is for the student to depart from the traditional school day in order to broaden their learning outside the classroom by following a passion and engaging in activities that entail adventure, creativity, curiosity, the use of various life-skills, and/or community service.
Students have two weeks to focus on furthering the pursuit of an interest they have gained as a result of some aspect of Pacifica’s program (academic, artistic, athletic, assembly, chapel, etc.), by gaining hands-on experience in an off-campus environment. All projects will be a minimum of 60 hours (30 hours per week).
Projects should typically fit—but are not limited to—one of the following categories:
- Adventure: Student may plan and execute a significant outdoor adventure such as long-distance, multi-day bike trip, camping trip, or hike.
- Creativity: Student may engage in the creation of an artistic project.
- Curiosity: Student may pursue an area of significant interest and delve into a research project or entrepreneurial endeavor.
- Life-Skills: Student may be an apprentice or intern in a work environment.
- Community Service: Student may orient their project towards the community, involving work for a non-profit service organization, whether cultural, religious, political, or environmental.
The Senior Project serves as the final assessment for Faith and Culture Seminar. As such, each student will work with their respective Faith and Culture teacher as an
advisor before and during the project.
Senior projects for Honors students culminate in a formal presentation to their peers, families, and faculty. Additionally, all seniors write a brief reflection on what they learned from their experience, and how it fits with the goal of translating the mission of Pacifica into the world. Regular students will present their projects in a table top format during final Senior Presentations. Students may discover new passions, solidify current interests, or learn that they are not well-suited for an area they once considered a possible interest. Some students may even receive employment offers as a result of their work.
Presentations & Exhibition:
Pacifica cordially invites students, parents, grandparents and friends to join us for the Class of 2018 Senior Presentations and Exhibitions.
Date: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 from
Time: 3:30pm – 6pm
Location: Pacifica Christian High School, 883 West 15th Street, Newport Beach
Honors – 60 hour project, reflection paper, 5-7 minute presentation, 10 minute Q&A.
Regular – 60 hour project, reflection paper, tabletop presentation.